Thursday, December 11, 2014

Review: City of Heavenly Fire

City of Heavenly Fire by: Cassandra Clare
Series: Mortal Instruments #6
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Pub Date: May 27th 2014
Audiobook
20 Hours 38 Minutes

In this dazzling and long awaited conclusion to the acclaimed Mortal Instruments series, Clary and her friends fight the greatest evil they have ever faced: Clary's own brother. 
Sebastian Morgenstern is on the move, systematically turning Shadowhunter against Shadowhunter. Bearing the Infernal Cup, he transforms Shadowhunters into creatures out of nightmare, tearing apart families and lovers as the ranks of his Endarkened army swell. 

I read/listened the rest of this series back to back over a year ago. I was super hooked! The Nephilim was a new concept to me and I fell in love immediately. I rooted for Clary and Jace from the first few chapters! Finding out after reading the fifth book that I would have to wait almost a year and a half for the next novel almost put in into tears. I remember breathlessly ranting about this to my husband, whom doesn't read so didn't get why I was upset at all!! Anyway so I bought City of Heavenly Fire the day it came out!! Immediately my life became super hectic and I am just now reading it!! Shameful, I KNOW!!

I just need to note first of all that I loved the conclusion to this series. It was everything I could have wanted from a finale and honestly more than I expected!

The characters, le sigh, the characters. I know over the course of the series there has been a ton of progression but it is helped by leaps and bounds in this book! Something about the world coming to an end makes all the characters pull their heads out of the clouds. I am trying to find the words to explain. Part of me has just considered throwing a spoiler sign and just say all I want to. I may do that later ;)

I am combining the story progression, plot, and resolution here cause I would just find myself repeating. I am not a literary critic, I know many a person that could pick this book a part and find all its faults but personally I think it was perfect. I didnt find any parts dragging or lacking. I love the plot build up and the resolution. What I really want to say here is I was super impressed at the tying up of all the characters left that Cassandra Clare did after the conflict resolution!!! I was really concerned that after everything was said and done it would just be over but she has several chapters showing how life is going post war and all the cleaning up. Beautifully done!!
This series is complete! While I am sad to see if go, I prefer a conclusion versus more books in this instance. Cassandra Clare does have many other books and series most or all of them having to do with this world she has created. I found that City of Heavenly Fire more so then other books hints at stuff that makes you wanna read the other series to see if they hold more information!! Sneaky she-devil!!



No comments:

Post a Comment